Sunday, August 16, 2009

fxyky88 asks: "WISDOM TEETH - AFTER REMOVAL?"

"I had all four wisdom teeth out last Tuesday in the hospital under G.A. Followed 'rules' very carefully and went for my follow up today at the dentist's. He did a syringe rinse and said everything looked good, no infection, no dry socket and absolutely nothing in the sockets.
Now since i've been home my gums on the bottom are very tender and I think the 'holes' are on the sides of my mouth, the top feels like that too..is that normal? My left lower lip and a bit of my chin is still numb (I know that's normal) it's just really annoying and i'm having trouble with my S's and T's when I talk, sounds like I have a lisp..can't even say lisp lol. I was taking an antibiotic for 5 days starting the day of surgery - Amoxicillin. It left my mouth and tongue covered in little white dots, oral thrush or somethin, it's a fungus and goes away on it's own, or supposed to. It's only been 2 days since I finished the bottle, the inside of my bottom lip is getting better - clearing up, but the insides of my cheeks are still the same, I would like it to clear up, i've been rinsing everyday 3 times a day with salt water and mouthwash.
When I bite down with my molars, they don't align like they used to, when I'm fully healed, will my teeth be alright? I really don't want to have any problems later on, I already need some work on my teeth and I won't be covered under my insurance anymore starting next week.
As for food, I tried to ask the dentist today what I should still stay away from but his answer was kinda vague. I know popcorn and chips and anything crunchy is a no no for a couple months at least. Nothing small like rice, nuts, seeds. But i'm really sick of eating mush everyday (mashed potatoes, pudding, soup, jello) When can I eat real food, like meat...and actually chew with my molars?"



Ok that's a lot to answer...

Thrush: Nystatin is a prescribed medication that will clear it up. Swish. Swallow.

Reason you have Thrush: the organism Candida Albicans is constantly present everywhere on our body but other organisms living nearby keep it in check. The problem with taking an antibiotic is that the normal flora that keeps Candida in check dies off and lets the Candida to go crazy. It's called a super infection. In text books it's called Candiasis, in the mouth, it's called Thrush, anywhere else its a yeast infection.

DO NOT be tempted to eat anything hard or crunchy before your jaw heals. You have giant holes in your jaw and when you crunch down, you might end up crunching your jaw in half. Meat is ok in a few weeks as long as it's soft. Cut it in tiny pieces to minimize chewing.

The molars will move a little but they'll find each other. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment